I’ve been making these muffins for approximately seven years and my family never gets tired of them – they’re LOADED with blueberries! They go great with a glass of milk for the kids or a cup of coffee for the adults – or in my case, a tall glass of iced-coffee. They have a slight lemon flavor that’s not overbearing. It really adds a “pop” factor to the taste. And the streusel topping – sets it over the edge!
It’s important to coat the blueberries with flour. This helps to evenly distribute the blueberries during baking and it helps to contain the juice within the blueberries. You don’t want the blueberry juice bleeding and turning your muffins “bluish”.
Cream the cheese,lemon juice and vanilla. Add eggs, dry ingredients, melted butter, zest.
Carefully fold in the blueberries.
In a separate medium-sized bowl, mix together the streusel topping.
Spoon batter into muffin cups to 3/4 from the top.
Spoon heaping tablespoon of streusel topping on muffin batter.
Bake at 375° (190°C) for 18-20, or until lightly browned.
- 2 cups (220g) all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1½ cups (270g) fresh blueberries
- ½ cup (100g) granulated sugar
- ¼ cup (55g) packed brown sugar
- ½ cup (120ml) milk (I use 1%)
- 4 oz. (115g) cream cheese
- ¼ cup (63ml) butter
- 2 eggs (room temperature)
- 1½ tablespoons (22.5ml) lemon juice
- 1 tsp. (6g) lemon zest
- 1½ teaspoons (6g) baking powder
- ½ tsp. (3g) baking soda
- 1 pinch Himalayan pink salt
- Preheat oven to 375℉ (190℃). Line muffin pans with muffin liners and set aside.
- Toss blueberries with approximately 2 tablespoons (13g) flour. Set aside.
- Combine remaining flour with both sugars, baking powder, baking soda, salt.
- In a large bowl, cream the cream cheese, lemon juice and vanilla until well blended and smooth.
- Add eggs, flour mixture, melted butter, milk and zest. Mix until all ingredients are just incorporated. Don’t over mix!
- FOLD in blueberries.
- Fill muffin cups to ⅔ full.
- Top with heaping tablespoon of streusel topping to each muffin.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until lightly browned.
- When done, remove cups from pan and let cool on wire rack.
- Store in air-tight container up to 3 days.